Black powder/muzzleloader type:
|Model:||Richmond 1861 Type III|
|Rate of twist:||1 in 72"|
|Stock material:||American walnut|
|Trigger:||Two Stage Adjustable|
This model was produced using machines and equipment transferred from the Harper’s Ferry arsenal, closed on April 18, 1861 to Richmond, the Confederate Capital. On that occasion the Richmond State Armoury was founded, replacing the Virginia Arms Manufactory. This gun was one of the most popular during the American Civil War, it was manufactured basend on the US 1855 Model with the Maynard tape ignition system. It is for this reason that the lock features the overhang on the upper side, which however during later years and having seen its uselessness, was lowered to simplify production. Except for the lock’s profile, the brass butt plate and the stock nose cap, the gun’s appearance resembles the US Model 1861, the corresponding infantry musket of the Northern troops, which has a hammer design is similar to the previous US 1855. The gun is equipped with two sling swivels, one fitted under the mid band and the other one fitted in front of the trigger guard. The stock is made of american walnut.